NOT LOST IN TRANSLATION

In 1993, two important things happened in my life. I passed out of my college and The Illustrated Weekly of India passed away. For me, the second event was very touching as I had been an ardent fan of the 112 year old news magazine. With editors like Khushwant Singh and Pritish Nandy, I considered it to be the best among the then published magazines. I had assumed it would last my life time. There were days when I would read and be lost in the pages of the magazine, going over each article many times. Just before the flame died out, they had started a section where poems translated from other languages to English were published. For a young guy, what better way to impress girls than recite a Bulgarian poem like this one from Dora Gabe. 

Dora Gabe was a Bulgarian poet born in the city of Varna in Bulgaria to Russian immigrant parents in 1886. She studied in Sofia University in Bulgaria and then in Grenoble, France. She passed away in 1983, leaving behind a world of beautiful poems, essays and short stories. Here is a one of the gems, I read in the Illustrated Weekly years ago.
Don't say anything
Let your voice
linger in all nature;
in the soft breath
of a wind that has died down,
of its faint touch on my face,
in the song of the nightingale
when it rouses me
to watch the setting sun with it,
in the lull of night whispers
when it makes me
into a child.
Don't say anything.

 
(Image from pogledni.com)

For those who wonder what I dream about, and those who are waiting for me to speak...

2 comments:

  1. very well done,i love to read your post.keep digging your feelings,they are very interesting and each time you come up with new thoughts.keep writing .very touching.you are right we dont need always to put everything into words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this friend who always encourages me to write what I’m feeling ;-). I agree that certain moments necessitate silence, but I also think it’s good to listen to peoples dreams sometimes, after all “Dreams and Goals that are not written down are just wishes".

    ReplyDelete